mama

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Today I had some moments with my adorable little Henry and I started singing a song Jake and I wrote on the way home to Powers with our tiny little Clara 3 years ago.

you're so sweet - like a frozent treat
like an ice cream cone on the way back home
double scoop - mocha almond fudge - chocolate espresso bean
you're my dairy queen (king)
you scream and i scream we all scream for ice cream

Anyway, I have to say that the third time with a little munchkin does have new meaning - I cherish the little innocent smiles and cooing more because I know that there are a lot of rough times ahead!

These past couple of weeks have definitely been the hardest parenting times I've had - emotionally anyway. Lack of sleep I can handle, breastfeeding every couple of hours and not being able to go anywhere on my own is ok, changing diapers left and right, cutting every food item up into tiny pieces all day - all of this is no problem. But the crazy emotional roller coaster of a 2 and 3 year old with all of their needs and desires and willfulness have been steamrolling me right into the pavement!

I feel like I make hundreds of mistakes a day and as I crawl into bed each night I have all kinds of new things I am going to try the next day to help things be a little more peaceful. "Tomorrow, no matter what they do, how crazy they get - I will not let my emotions get sucked into it, I will remain calm and even tempered and loving." Well, I am working on that "all time best mothering skill there is."

I really want to set boundaries for my kids in a loving and kind way, but I know that most importantly I have got to keep setting the boundaries no matter how hard they press them and try to break down my resistance. It would be so easy to just let them rule the house, eat what they want, sleep when they want and yell "NO!" at me when they want... but that is definitely not the point of parenting - being easy I mean. Making it easy has nothing to do with it...

On Saturday I had a few hours to myself (with Henry of course). So I read little bits of all kinds of parenting books at Borders and here is my favorite quote from one lady that wrote in to Dr. Laura...

"The number one worst thing my parents (more so my mother)
did that caused me difficulty was to never let me feel anything
but happy. Everything I did was perfect - I was never disciplined,
never spanked, never told "no," never grounded, never made to
do my homework. There were always excuses for me and blame
was placed elsewhere. I lived with unrealistic expectations and
perceptions of who I was...I eventually became very angry...to
the point of violence."

So even as I look down at my lovely little boy, I don't have hopes that he will be perfect and easy (I would like him to be human), I just hope that I can do my best to show him he is loved and to teach him how to love people and love God.


mama

4 Comments:

At 7:48 PM, Blogger Anna said...

hi rach!
i'm just getting used to this blog thing...how did you find me? so cool! sorry i missed your call this afternoon...you are my camping inspiration! I hope you make it out one more time!
love
Anna

 
At 11:01 PM, Blogger emilyruth said...

you are great!
& i admire your humanness(?) too
being a mama is no picnic
or stroll in the park
it's pretty much a sprint on the sidewalk near the park...

your kiddos are so blessed to have you...
not perfect but just right for them:)
(as they are for you:)

love you:)

 
At 11:02 PM, Blogger emilyruth said...

p.s.
that is the cutest song ever...

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Mrs.Kate.W said...

It is very refreshing to read this...I know that it is not easy but you are doing a great service to your children by helping them realize that they have boundaries and that you get to be the boss! It is preparing them for the rest of life...if I got to do whatever I wanted I would be watching soaps and buying shoes all day! I only do that on days I am sick and beleive me it makes me feel alot better!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home