mama

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

SISTERS



Sometimes I get so tired of the crazy obsession with individualism in the West. "Never let go of your true self." "Never let anyone else change you." "Be exactly who you have always been." "Don't try to be like anyone else." It all sounds pretty lonely to me.
When I was little I wanted to be just like my sister, Becca. She wanted to be like a boy. Skirts? Out of the question. Dolls? Disgusting. Pink? You've got to be kidding me. Dirt? The more the better. Sports? The only thing worth playing. Blue and red? The best!
Was I denying my "true" self, maybe a little. When I was at friends' houses by myself we would pull out the Barbies and play for 16 hours straight.
Did I grow up with a best friend and a playmate? Yes. We played army in the woods for hours. We would take on any boys on the basketball court that would dare to challenge us. We had a blast with our slug races and mud pies.
Maybe I missed out on a little bit of princess play and pink tutu dancing, but I was still me. I was a better me because I wasn't playing in a corner by myself being an "individual". Posted by Picasa

3 Comments:

At 3:25 PM, Blogger emilyruth said...

i agree
i hope my kiddos are always up for trying something new with their friends
(with the exception of sex, drugs & rock & roll:)

& i hope they try each others prefrences out too...
Q in a tutu? bring it on
& you know i'm so going to be nudging miss m toward the mud...
(i already have some little cammo pants for her:)

so here's to following the crowd...
kind-of:)

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger Mrs.Kate.W said...

I am all for wanting to be like someone! I wanted desperately to be like my amazing sister and my awesome mom...not too bad when you think of picking a role model! Your girls are going to have the best memories...just like the ones we have, though mine have alot less mud in them and a TON more dresses and pink!

 
At 11:26 PM, Blogger Anna said...

I love watching Joey imitate his brother and then put his own crazy twist on it.
Sounds like it would be a lot of work to not be influenced by anyone and like you said, lonely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home